Sunday, September 23, 2007

A Collision and Some Random Thoughts

At sectionals last weekend I had a classic ultimate collision, the type people point at when they argue against co-ed (don't worry, there were no serious injuries). It was during a hell point in our seventh game of the weekend, right after we lost a close one to Night Train. Anyway, our team was playing poorly, and there were multiple hell points that game. During one such hell point I made an up line cut. Well, I was feeling good about the cut as soon as I started it; I had a lot of separation from my defender, and the throw was right next to me, moving about as fast as I was. Everything seemed great and I decided to milk the throw. About a second later I heard some steps so I caught it and turned my back to the oncoming defender.

I instantly had flashbacks of the Claremont vs. UW game from 06 when I got crushed in the same situation. Well, this collision was much different. When we hit I heard a high pitched scream, and instead of thinking about my UW experience, I started thinking about Stout's horror story about running into a poaching women in Spain. Well, the women I hit started freaking out and yelling for her inhaler. I also got really worried, until my defender put his hand on my shoulder and said "Don't worry, you did nothing wrong." It was really assuring, and somehow it turned the whole thing into a positive experience for me, and my understanding of co-ed.

At the same time, I heard one of the Cows say "That's co-ed ultimate." When I first heard this, I interpreted it as a "shit happens, but it's okay" sort of statement, but with some reflection, my interpretation is changing. I'm starting to see it as a critique of co-ed, and the potential it has for injury. Anyway, this whole event is making me think I don't want to play co-ed for too much longer. Still, hanging out with women, and having a relaxed schedule is really nice. Anyway, if I start grad school next summer I'll probably wind up playing co-ed again.

In other Ultimate news, I had my first real zone practice outside of college ultimate today. It was really fun, and I got to play the point in a successful zone. I think the best part was playing with knowledgeable players. Everyone was learning a new zone, but we didn't have to design drills to teach people new things, also, because we had a coach, not everyone was talking. It was a really sweet experience, I hope this is a trend for the rest of my ultimate carrier.

In non-ultimate news, I saw a real inspiring film about climbing a few weeks ago. It's called "King Lines" and will be available on DVD in October. The film is about Santa Cruz local Chris Sharma's global search for the perfect climb. If you have the chance, you should check it out*. I was lucky and got to see it on a big screen during the "Real Rock Film Tour."

Last thing, I'm looking for new music (of any genera) to listen to. Suggestions?

WARNING: This movie will make you want to go climb rocks.

3 comments:

Jay Schulkin said...

everyone has their co-ed collision stories, eh? my favorite personal one was from this summer in summer league, when a dude on our team made a horizontal frontstack iso cut in the endzone for the score. Just as he caught it, running toward the sideline and looking back toward the thrower, a poaching woman jumped in his way and got steamrolled. Her husband proceeded to bitch for a long time, then shut up and hack on the mark and call fouls every time he had the disc.
So, some good experiences can be had, but some bad as well.

Jay Schulkin said...

pre-regionals thoughts?

Joaq said...

okay, coming soon (tonight or tomorrow). Also, I'll write a bit about observing at NW regionals.