Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Observer Thoughts and Regionals Preview

Being an observer is hard work. First, it's hard to just watch the cutters when the action is coming your way, it's just against your instincts of watching Ultiamte. Still, watching the cutters means you do get to learn some things about cutting (I got to spend a whole game watching Aaron Richards cut, that was educational). Second, when watching the thrower marker interactions, it's hard to watch for both fouls and travels, but it is doable as long as you maintain your concentration (remember, whenever you start to lose concentration is when they'll need you). Still, observing is worth it, and it's kind of fun. The last hard part is keeping your focus through observing four strait games on a hot and dry day.

After getting some experience, I think that only 'elite' level players should observe 'elite' level games. In my mind (and in the UPA observer manual), the real purpose of the observer is to keep the game moving while keeping it in the players hands. Basically, the observer should never be the focus of the game. Because of this, it is important that the observer is there for the benefit of the players, and not for themselves. It is my contention that non 'elite' level players are more likely to be at the games for their own exposure than 'elite' level players. Also, they are more likely to make it all about them by interjecting themselves into discussions when they're not needed or by wanting to give their ruling to soon. These desires come from a want to be seen as equal to the players on the field. This is just my theory, and I've seen it happen a few times. Still, when I saw things not being played out by the rules I did want to step in, but I think I did a good job of laying off. The biggest thing I learned is to go to the rule book quickly if you need to ( for those interested, the continuation rule is on page 28).

Okay, enough of that, it's Regionals time.

Going into regionals I feel better than I have all season. Honestly, I feel real fast. I've done three of the four sprint workouts I've ever done in the last two weeks, and it's made me feel fast (I don't care if it's a placebo effect or not, feeling fast will make me dig harder). I also think the team we have at regionals we be better than the team we had at sectionals. Having Daryl and Lean will be huge for us, not just on the field, but also in calling lines and making sure the team stays focused. Lastly, I'm excited to apply what I learned by watching top cutters at Open regionals.

As far as the bracketology goes, we have the hardest pool I could imagine. Sure, every pool has a team that qualified for nationals last year, but not every pool has that team as the three seed. Also, not every pool has the best (and most athletic) team in the country in their pool. Despite all this, no matter what seed we take in our pool, we have a good shot of making at least one game-to-go. I've thought we have a shot at making nationals for a while now, but now I'm starting to think we're going. I'm not buying plane tickets yet, but I am setting myself up to be devastated if we don't make it (luckily for me I'm staying in Seattle an extra day for recovery). I don't know the last time an 8 seed made nationals, but lets hope this is the next time. Also, I'm stoked that my friends will be out there heckling because I think I play better when people are watching.

That's all I got for tonight, but I'll write more Thursday after the first UCSC practice.

Peace.

2 comments:

Jay Schulkin said...

nothing like a quick response post.
Paul was in town this weekend, and couldnt get over the fact that our ill-attended fall practice is the best ultimate competition he is going to face for the whole year.

Jay Schulkin said...

you've had almost an entire day to think about it, your next post about regionals is officially overdue