Monday, September 17, 2007

Sectionals Recap

This tournament had the most schedule changes of any tournament I've ever participated in. I'm just glad I'm only a player on our team so I didn't have to look at any of them. In hindsight not checking the schedules might have been a mistake since we thought games didn't start until 10 on Saturday when they actually started at 9. Well, we had 12 people cleated by 9, and we were playing "Kill My Land Lord" so it all worked out okay (We won 13-2 ish). Our second game was against the "Feral Cows" and was similarly non-memorable, we won 13-8 or so.

The next game was our big game for day one. We played Night Train for first in the pool. Our games have been close with this team all year, and everyone anticipated this game to be real close. We started on D and got three chances with the disc, but didn't convert. Still, it was encouraging to generate turns. After this, our O comes out and gets the job done. Their job does the same. Then they get a break to go up 3-1, then 4-1, then 5-1. Our O finally scores to make it 5-2. When our D got back on the field, we were finally able to convert the turns we were getting, and we converted a lot of them. We broke six straight times to take half 8-5. We then cruzed in the second half and won 13-6 ish.

We then played the "Thunderbirds" in the quarters. This team was exhausted and had just won a big upset to make the quarters. Anyway, we take half 8-1 and win 15-4. This was followed by a nice drive back to SC from Stanford and me watching like 4 episodes of Heroes when I got home.

First game Day two was against Brass Money at 9. This time we knew the start time, and got there good and early (7:50). This game was not as close as I had hoped. They got two breaks in the first half to our none. We got one back in the second half, but they promptly got another and wound up wining 15-11. Our loss in this game set up a rematch with Night Train.

We started on D and got a turn, them almost immediately hucked it away to a reciever who was coming back under. Our O then scored easily with no turns. D gets another turn, and hucks it away. O scores with no turns. D hucks it away. O turns it, and they get a break. They get another. We right the ship and get it to half 8-5. In the second half we manage to mount a comback and bring it to 13-12 game to 14. We're on D and we get the disc. I end up dropping a pass and they march it down and score. It was kind of crushing. I had played really well in the game until then with 4 Ds and 2 goals, but that one drop is what really made the difference. I was kind of in a stupor for the next one, another game against the Cows, and we wound up wining 15-10 or so.

This put us in the game-to-go to regionals against Wagon (kind of ridiculous when you look at our RRI). Surprisingly (and pleasingly) there was a crowd for this one, as Brass was still around drinking after their finals victory, and "That's What SHE Said" stuck around after having loosing to Wagon on the same field in the previous round. We played really well the whole game. Our O had one turn that I can remember, and that lead to the one break they got. I got to go deep a few times in this one, and caught two easy goals from nice flick hucks by Kevin Beck. I'd like to think that I had a positive effect for those playing fantasy because I added the "if a cutter's defender falls over while the cutter sets up a deep cut +1/2" rule, then proceeded to make two defenders fall over when I was setting up deep cuts.

So, we got out of our section, and we're on to regionals. I think regionals will go well, and getting Daryl and Lean back wont hurt ether. After this weekend I realized how crowded it is at the top of the NorCal mixed section.

3 comments:

Drew said...

Congratulations, Joaquin. We have our sectionals this weekend, with every team other than Shazam gunning for us. Two mixed bids out of WABC is a bit crazy. I'll have a decent preview write-up on drewd soon.

And we'll have a bed ready for your Seattle arrival...

Jay Schulkin said...

"cruzed" intentional clever pun, or spelling error?
I vote spelling error.

Unknown said...

Dude, only 4 bids, that's crazy. I know exactly what you mean about the one fuck up making all of the difference. I don't know how many times I go over those one fuck ups or many fuck ups in my mind. Doesn't matter how many lay out Ds, breaks, or hucks, it's that one turnover I might throw or the rare point block, I just eat myself up about it for any time I try to remember those games...Arizona, Regionals, or UCSB 2nd game sectionals where I threw the callahan intended for Alex...Never going to live that down. That was the beginning of the end for us.
-Shy