Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Desert Island, All-time, Top-five Hip-Hop Albums (chronologically):

Quick post to get me started on the music front, because I know I'll do too much talking about disc. These are my Desert Island, All-time, Top-five Hip-Hop Albums (and why) (chronologically):

The Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique (1989)

This record has the most pop culture references of any record ever made, period. The lyrics aren't too complex, but the beasties trade lines well and are exceedingly clever (I love their ode to New York references). Also, the production on this record changed how records were produced in hip hop and music in general by revolutionizing the technique of sampling. The production is rich and layered, sampling multiple records to create each track. It's been said that Paul's Boutique could not be made today because of the overhead it would require to clear all of the samples. I'd say this is my favorite record of all time.
Favorite tracks: High Planes Drifter, Car Thief

The Wu-Tang Clan - Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) (1993)

If you like kung fu flicks, grimy minimalist beats with eerie piano and sped up soul samples, and sum gully lyrics, check out The Wu. Also, if you want something energized and/or angry this is awesome.
Favorite tracks: Clan in da Front,
Wu-Tang Clan Ain't Nuthing Ta F' Wit, Wu-Tang: 7th Chamber - Part II

NaS - Illmatic (1994)

NaS is one of the best lyricists ever, and if you want nuanced lyrics with imagery and vivid story telling, check out this record. The production on Illmatic was largely influenced by the Jazz rap coming out of New York in the early nineties and this style meshes well with NaS's Gambino rap storytelling. On a lyrical level, I don't think enough has been made of NaS saying "Sentence begins indented .. with formality/My duration's infinite, moneywise or physiology/ Poetry, that's a part of me .." I really think that NaS's lyrics on this album are worthwhile as poetry, and that they'll be respected as such some day.

Favorite tracks: NY State of Mind,
Memory Lane (Sittin' In Da Park), One Time For Your Mind

A Tribe Called Quest - Beats Rhymes and Life (1996)

ATCQ is my favorite hip hop group, and although most don't consider this their best album, I really appreciate the slick production and the subject matter. The MCs of Tribe show a lot of maturity with the lyrics on this album without sacrificing their artistry. Also, I think J-Dilla was a great addition to the production crew. This album hurts from only having one obvious single in "Stressed Out," but it's start to finish consistency is amazing, from Get a Hold, to Mind Power, to What Really Goes On.
Favorite tracks: Get a Hold, Jam, and Stressed Out

Black Star - Black Star (1998)

This is an all around great record with two of Brooklyn's finest MC's teaming up to bring back the feeling of the native tongues movement from the late 80s and early 90s. Both Mos Def and Talib Kweli deliver some all time great verses on this album, and keep everything positive. Check out both "Definition" and "RE:Definition" along with "Thieves in the Night" and "Respiration." If you ask me, "Respiration" is one of the top five hip hop songs of all time, and arguably the best (check out Mos Def's Thomas Paine reference at the end of the first verse, its pretty cool and not overly obvious).
Favorite Tracks: RE:Definition, Respiration

There you have it.

1 comment:

Drew said...

Whenever anyone on my team calls me, my iPhone now plays "Shadrach." Brilliant! I was thinking of a separate ringtone corresponding to each player's Beastie nickname but that's a bit too much work right now.

Otherwise, your picks expose my lack of knowledge---I will check out all these albums.