Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Regionals Recap

Regionals Recap

So, we didn't make nationals. I really thought we had a chance, and when we took half on the Flycoons 8-7 in incredibly windy conditions, I really thought we were going to make it. All the way through 10-10 I thought we were going to be in the game-to-go, but when they took that up winder to make it 11-10 the wind came out of our sails. Anyway, the end of our season (in terms of contention) was loosing to the Flycoons, who I think will make at least the pre-quarters, not that bad.

Now, game by game recap:


Game 1: Dr. Si (Chico guys, UO girls)

Well, this team was the 16 seed, and their best guy was drinking a beer by the second half What i remember: they had only 2 girls to start the game so they had to play one down, Maggie benched herself because she didn't see the point in taking up playing time, we won 15-4.


Game 2: The Horde

We finished our game early and had a lot of rest time, but we also didn't really play our top game against Dr. Si. The Horde on the other hand, had just played their hardest against Shazam and were warmed up and ready to go. First point we started on D going up wind. Their O was moving it pretty well until Courtny tried to throw a break side goal to my man off a dish. I got a big layout D and things looked good that we'd get the early break. Things looked good until I threw my first of 3 turns (two throwing, one catching) this game. On their next possession, Scotty got a sick layout block on a dump cut, bet again we weren't able to convert and they eventually scored. I don't remember the exact sequence of scores for the rest of the first half, I just remember going in on and O point, and having the iso get called for me. So, I'm out in the lane and my guy is backing me by about 5 yards. I shoulder fake deep, then start under, go back deep for about two steps, than under again for three, at this point he finally thinks he's forced me underneath and he bites. I then go deep and he falls over trying to keep up. Anyway, the huck goes up and I catch it about three yards short of the end zone and call a time out. After the TO, the iso doesn't get open because she slips in the rain, so I turn to the dump who is being face guarded really well, At about stall 9.5 I finally throw something and the guy gets a blind block (turn #2). Well shit. They convert, and wind up taking half like 8-6. We managed to battle back in the second half (no thanks to me, I dropped a potential up wind goal (turn #3), we wound up getting the disc back, and I caught the next one) and wind up taking the game and securing second in the pool.

My favorite part of this game was hanging out with Venus. I remember standing next to her at the end of the game watching, it was like standing with a teammate, whether or not we were rooting for the same outcome. That was cool.


Game 3: Shazam Returns

Going in to this one I think we all knew they were going to win. Anyway, I got to bate a fun layout D where a cut off a away pass, but it wasn't game changing and it was on an O point. They had a tough 4 person cup zone with a big man marking and three women as a wall. We tried the same, just with me marking instead of a big guy, not as effective, but really fun.

Highlights: Cassidy had a huge layout grab on a huck, he layed out around a guy and when he landed it looked like he had his arm bent the wrong way. Also in this game, Ayron had a 4 foot hi layout catch D (to show me up?), then, on the ensuing possession, he was behind Cassidy and reached around him (not in the air, just real quick) to snag a huck (to show up Cassidy?) then threw the goal.


Game 4: CTR

We came out slow, again, and they killed us with the long game. This team is one that doesn't give away the disc. The three players that hurt us most were Rob, Shasta, and Alan (Brains alum, who knew (Drew knew)). Well, they took half 8-4, then we brought the intensity with the zone and battled back to lead 11-10. Still, our O just wasn't clicking, and we game some points away. They wound up wining 15-13.

That was the end of day one. Loosing CTR put is in the 4th place bracket, meaning we'd have to win 4 strait on Sunday to make it to Florida. After loosing, I went to find Drew and plan our trip back to Seattle. Well, I found Drew playing against Nigh Train for the right to play us in the morning. To my pleasant surprise, Drew and Shadrach (sick team name btw) were wining, and I'd probably get to play against my old college captain the next morning. Well, it all worked out and Shadrach won. On the way back to Seattle, I went to dinner with Drew and his team to a brewery for some good eats, beer, and scouting.

Day 2 (Wind ball, not ultimate, basically, keep scores in terms if up-winders)
Game 1: Shadrach

in this one, we got the first up-winder, then came out with zone, and we just didn't have it, so they got it back. The most fun part here was guarding Drew any time he was on an up wind point, because I played almost all the down winders. Anyway, we score another up-wind point and wind 2-1.

Game 2: Flycoons

This game was the big test. The Flycoons were heavily favored to take the 4th spot from the NW, so if we won this one, the road was only going to get easier. Anyway, they came out strong and got the first up wind point (it was actually the first point, and they had no turns). From here, we trade down wind the rest of the first half, until we score up wind to take half 8-7. At this point, if we trade out, we win. Well, somehow, we got away from hard flick D and out marks became flatter when they were going up wind. Well, they manage to run an effective dominator against out flat marks, and score two more up-winders in the second half. Flycoons win 3-1 and end out season. I was pretty happy with the play of the team over all, and I think we gave the Flycoons a real tough game. They're a strong team, and i hope they do well at nationals.

After this one, we decide to play a consolation game against CTR so all the people who didn't get the play time they wanted could get out there and crush.

Game 3: CTR

Crush crush crush. We won 15-7, and all the people who hadn't been playing showed that they should have been. I sat this one out, preferring to reflect on the season then play consolation. Somehow, I don't have as much fun just playing when I don't think there's something on the line.

So, in the end we tied with The Horde for 6th, and I think that's about appropriate for our place in the region. Sure I would have loved to take that 4th spot, but in the end, I think our team played as well as could be expected giving or pension for not practicing.

There you have it, a 4-3 regionals, and two games short of nationals. Over all, a fun season, but I'm still looking forward to playing open.

3 comments:

Jay Schulkin said...

good writeup--holla back open

808 said...

Glad you didn't die up there. Or catch hypothermia.

There's an informal YR/Slackjaw "thing" this Sat in the bay that has basically expanded to casual co-ed pickup if you're interested.

Jay Schulkin said...

wow danny's blog is great. thanks for the link