Monday, April 21, 2008

Re: I'm not feeling the love

I guess I'm writing this because Cassidy Rasmussen is my boy, but also because I feel like the FOTY* award isn't discussed enough. The guidelines for the awards are laid out pretty well on the UPA website (and I wish they weren't, screw them, I'm sticking with my definitions. Also, can we get a search function UPA? thanks.) but the chatter is definitely pretty low quantity (and low quality, I don't pretend to help there) regarding FOTYs.

I think the FOTY award isn't about the best individual freshman in the region, but instead the freshman that contributes the most to a relevant team (that's right, I don't think a FOTY should come from a team that isn't competitive at regionals, same with all-region players).

In my All-Region post (column? maybe when I get an editor) I talked a little about FOTY candidates, but I didn't want to distract from my real purpose. Anyway, I wrote:

[NW] FOTY: Jeremy Norden, Whitman - I think he's had this locked up since Vegas. That being said, I think Cassidy Rasmussen should get some dap if UCSC wins regionals.

I stick by my statement, still, I'd like to explain. I think Cassidy is an exceptional player, and if I had to choose between the two, I don't know who I'd take, (but I do know I'd have Cassidy play D). The thing is, I think Jeremy has had to do a lot more for Whitman than Cassidy has for UCSC. Also, I think Whitman stepping up and being better than expected has helped Jeremy, while UCSC underperforming for much of the season hasn't helped Cassidy. If UCSC wins regionals and Cassidy plays huge, I think people should consider him for the award. Still, I expect both players to make the all region team in the coming years, probably as soon as next year.

As far as the SW debate goes, I just don't know enough about Hylke Snieder from Colorado to comment. I guess I'll let The Pulse (that nickname was for you, Conor) do the talking for me:

I've played against both Markham and Hylke, and Markham, while I do think he's the better player, also means so much more to his team than Hylke. . . . He's a big part of [Claremont's] rise to contention in the SW.

Okay, there you have it.

*Can we all agree to pronounce FOTY like E-40 when he calls himself 40 Water? Just listen to Yay Area, and focus on the chorus.

4 comments:

Jay Schulkin said...

I love me some FOTY water

Shy said...

Oooo, like that? Tell the people that FOTY water is back.

Jay Schulkin said...

boy, now the whole world is feeling the cassidy love on rsd

Joaq said...

Word Jay. And he did play huge, 6 goals, 1 assist and 0 turns in the finals. Just sick.