Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Fools Recap

Last weekend I got to play with my two favorite teams in my favorite tournament. What a treat. Anyway, here goes the boring style recap.

Game 1: Claremont vs. YR
Claremont was without their three primary throwers for this tournament so I tried to fill that role (luckily it's what I did last year). Also of note, this version of YR was clearly a tryout team, and they weren't trotting out top lines or anything like that. I don't remember all the specifics of the game, but I do remember that we went up a couple of breaks in the first half. We then proceeded to give one or two back in the second half before the hard cap blew with us up by two. They had the disc and Gordy decided he'd pad his states getting his 4th layout D of the game and letting us score the final goal.

What stuck out to me most in this game about my own play was how out of shape I am compared with this time last year. I played far fewer points then I would have last year and was far more tiered. Where the two teams are concerned, YR really liked their IO breaks, and they moved the disc really well. Still, height on D was an issue for them, but I think that will get worked out as the season approaches. Where Claremont is concerned, I was impressed with the younger players, they seem to have good heads for the game, instead of just running aimlessly. I think it's more a lack of skills instead of understanding (play club this sumer guys, really).

Game 2/3: DTB vs. Cruz current and past.

These games blended together for me. It was all a swirl of sweet beats and playing against UCSC hommies. I played pretty well in these games, as did my brown teammates. Still, I got D'd once on a huck, that sucked, and I put a little too much zing on an upline throw to Jimmy. I had a couple of goals and assists, along with a D or two. Winning these two games won us the pool and put us in a crossover game with YR.

Game 4: YR (again)

This time the outcome didn't seem as uncertain before the game. Also, it was funny to hear people getting frustrated about Nick getting touches. They were like "Will someone shut down the fat kid?" I just bit my tongue. We won.

That was it for the games on day one. We helped DJ dave load up the truck and all sat down for the circle. It was great, it always is, and I look forward to sitting down with everyone once again. After we finished up Haddock and I picked up some food at Charlie Hong Kong's and headed back to my place. We eventually made it down to the party at Rosie's. It was a lot of fun, as it always is. Okay, on to day two.

Game 5: Claremont

We rejected the box, mostly because we don't take handouts (and we were afraid they wanted Manhattan). Anyway, I didn't play in this game until it was like 7-3. I went on for D, guarded Rook, and we scored. Rook did manage to get the disc once, that kind of bothered me, but hey, he has broad shoulders and I wasn't going to try and bit through a good friend. Anyway, I only played like 6 points that game. Jay commented that it was boring while I guarded him. It was like practice or something. Jay did have a good game though, including a layout D on the first point. We wound up wining 15-10, I think it would have been a bit closer if Claremont wasn't missing 3 of their top 10 guys.

Game 6: LA/SB

We were up 10-9 on O going down wind on O. They got the break, we didn't recover. I can't wait for a shot at winning this tournament next year. We'll see.

I really enjoyed playing with and meeting new people. Also, I dug playing open again (first time since college regionals last year). DTB will come back stronger in '09. Word.

4 comments:

Jay Schulkin said...

how good do you think the likely condors/monster merger will be? good enough to crack into that top 5 or 6 that condors have been outside of the last few years? (assuming they do combine).
p.s. sweet punctual writeup

Joaq said...

Maybe it warrants a full post? My quick reaction is that I think the LA guys will help depth wise, but where Brandon and Greg play will have more of an effect on where the Condors finish then adding non-Ben-Spears Monster players.

Drew said...

Zing!

The Pulse said...

How bad YR's height problems on D are: me at 5'10" with broken wrist and pulled groin covering Michael Stout for 2/3 of the game.

And I agree with Joaq on Monster/Condors - Monster doesn't have the players who are consistent enough to contribute effectively for Condors. Although I'm all for it if it means fewer young UCSB guys get to play for Condors.