Monday, April 7, 2008

DUI Recap

This past weekend I played in my first ever tryout tournament. I think I'm moving into the veteran ranks of trying out soon. I played with half of Revolver (we were called Bulldog). Anyway, game by game . . .

Game 1: S-M-A-U-G Smaug! Smaug! (UCLA)

We got to play my old SoCal friends first game. They've got sectionals next weekend and are looking to peak at the right time. The game went about as I expected, UClA made some execution errors, and we didn't. Still, there were some things I didn't expect, notably UCLA hucking a lot, and those hucks not coming to or from Seraph. I think they'll tighten the rotation a bit next weekend and lean more heavily on Seraph/Sultan/Devinci. Final score 15-7 ish.

Game 2: YR

They came out fired up, we came out without much chemistry on O. Not a big surprise for a team with only 7 returners, at least 4 of whom played D last year. We scored on O first, then they scored 5 strait before we finally scored on O again. Well, getting our D on the field was a good decision. We wound up taking half 8-6 to on a 7-1 run. Early in the second half we were able to reap the benefits of them having such a tight O rotation and continue take and build to a 12-8 lead. And a 15-9 final. I think this game speaks volumes towards teams giving the D line a shot on O after maybe two consecutive breaks.

Game 3: Condors

Um, I think they broke us three straight times before we got on the board. That's right, in typical Bulldog fashion we were down 3-1 before the D got on the field. Well, also in typical Bulldog fashion we took half 8-6 (awesome). We wound up winning 15-11 ish. Wow, that was my first time beating any team called The Condors. That was a big moment for me. I played all right, but got beat deep once or twice (I also got the D on a deep shot).

The game against the Condors concluded our day and Revolver headed over (two blocks over) to The Graduate for greasy food and final 4 b-ball. Well, I could only stay for like 30 min before having to jet to B-town for a dinner party (so good). Anyway, the night was fun, but I didn't quite have the time I usually do in Berkeley, but only because I had to get up at 8:20 to make it to the fields by 10:00.

The next morning was easy and headache-less (rare for Sundays when I wake up in Berkeley) and I was able to make it to the fields 3rd out of everyone on my team.

Game 4 (Quarters): J-men

Um, it was lame and boring. Luckily, this was the game I played worse in (two drops, the only two turns I had with Bulldog).

Game 5 (Semis): Spoonbender (Jam)

I spent this game trying to stay with Matt Bruss. It should have gone better, but I can't say it was a total failure. There was only one point where my man touched the disc multiple times, but Matt did score some goals on me. While I was guarding him Bruss was hucked to 5 times, 3 resulting in goals and two in turns. Unfortunately, we didn't convert any of our upwind chances on D, turing it over 5 yards out twice, and turning it after both of the timeouts the D called. Anyway, this was a game we could have won, and I'd like to be in this matchup again.

Magnum, the other Revolver split squad, also lost in the semis. So, instead of essentially scrimmaging, both teams called it quits to socialize instead. Well, Charles and I decided it'd be more useful to us as tryouts to play with YR in their last consolation game.

Game 6 (with YR): Smaug

Both teams were very tiered, one happened to play a game predicated on high percentage throws and disc movement while the other relied on big strikes. It was fun playing with YR and getting to be a primary cutter. I found that it was easier to take on a large role with these guys than with the revolver guys. Mostly, I didn't feel out classed in the throws department. Anyway, we won easily and I played well scoring a few goals and assisting on a couple. Still I had a turnover, that shouldn't happen. I had a good time playing with these guys.

All in all it was a fun weekend, the tryout season is in full swing. I can't wait until the season starts after Cal States.

1 comment:

Robin said...

sorry that berkeley wasn't more rewarding! i regarded the occasion as a success except for my antics.

last night was amazing as well. anyway, i've got some new shoes for once, and i think you might like em. nice and classy. grown man style.

anyhow,
miss you man.
it's good to have you on our blog. gotta get you up here more often